God has reserved the gift of sex for the marriage relationship, but we break this commandment in more ways than just having sex outside of marriage.
Read Exodus 20:14
- Underline: You shall not commit adultery.
- Write: “6th Commandment” or “6C”
The Gift of Sex
Read Genesis 1:27-28, 31a
- Underline: Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth
- Write: Sex is a gift
Sex is a gift given by God to a married couple—husband and wife. God commanded Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply, in order to fill the Earth. However, as with many of the gifts of God, there is a right way and a wrong way to use His gift.
What is forbidden in the 6th Commandment?
Read Genesis 39:6-10
- Underline: nor has he kept back anything from me except you, because you are his wife. How then can I do this great wickedness and sin against God?
- Write: 6C: Sex outside marriage is sin
Read Matthew 19:6-9
- Underline: What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.
- Write: 6C: Divorce is sin
Read Matthew 5:27-28
- Underline: everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
- Write: 6C: Think pure thoughts
Read Romans 1:24, 26-27
- Underline: exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature
- Write: 6C: Homosexuality is sin.
This Commandment deals with our sexual or intimate relationships with others. We see very clearly from Genesis 39 that sex is reserved for marriage alone. God never intended for man and woman to have sex outside of the marriage relationship because there are many negative consequences for doing so. This includes sexually transmitted diseases, but also emotional and psychological pain and hurt that comes from sex outside of marriage.
In addition to sex, however, this Commandment talks about other ways we break this Commandment. Divorce, all too common in our culture, is one of those ways. We also learn from Matthew 5 that the very thoughts we have about others can be impure and break this Commandment. This includes viewing pornography or imagining what it would be like to have sex with some guy or girl that you know. God also forbids the practice of homosexuality in this Commandment.
While sexual sins are prevalent in our society today, they are just as bad as any other sin in the eyes of God. Thankfully, there is forgiveness for each of these sins, just as there is forgiveness in Jesus for all sin.
What is commanded in the 6th Commandment?
Read 1 Corinthians 6:18
- Underline: “Flee from sexual immorality.”
- Margin: 6C: Avoid Temptation
Read 1 Corinthians 6:18
- Circle: sexual immorality, impurity, covetousness, filthiness, foolish talk crude joking
- Underline: thanksgiving.
- Margin: No! Yes!
Instead of focusing on sinful desires of the flesh, we avoid situations that will sexually tempt us. Instead of focusing on the sings of the flesh, we focus on the things of God and ask Him to help us resist this temptation.