Key Theme: Jesus leaves some last instructions, including a special meal for our spiritual health.
Read John 13:12-17
- Underline: If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.
- Write: Serve others
Read John 13:31-35
- Underline: A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.
- Write: Love others
Read John 14:1-7
- Underline: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
- Write: Jesus alone saves
Read John 14:15-20
- Underline: Because I live, you also will live.
- Write: Jesus gives life
Read John 14:27-28
- Underline: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
- Write: Jesus gives peace
Read John 15:1-8
- Underline: verse 5
- Write: Actions come from Faith
Read John 15:18-21
- Underline: Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.
- Write: We will be treated like Jesus
Read John 15:26-27
- Underline: And you also will bear witness, because you have been with me from the beginning.
- Write: Tell others about Jesus
On the night that Jesus was betrayed by Judas, arrested by the Romans, Jesus took time to be with His disciples and share a meal with them. That evening—the day before He would be crucified—Jesus wanted to share some important truth with His dear friends and disciples. Imagine being in a position where you knew you were about to die and had one last chance to share what was important with your family and friends. This is what Jesus did in the hours leading up to His death.
Read Matthew 26:26-28
After relating some important truth and final advice for the disciples, Jesus instituted a new practice that was meant to encourage and uplift His people. We will explore what happened with the Last Supper next time.