God has put parents in authority over us for our good. We should honor them as such.
Read Exodus 20:12
- Underline: Honor your father and your mother.
- Write: “4th Commandment” or “4C”
Honor Your Parents
Read Proverbs 23:22
- Underline: the Listen to your father, … do not despise your mother
- Write: 4C: Listen to Parents
Read Colossians 3:20
- Underline: Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
- Write: 4C: Obey parents.
Read Ephesians 6:2-3
- Underline: Honor your father and mother … that it may go well with you
- Write: 4C: Honoring brings blessing
Read 1 Timothy 5:4
- Underline: let them first learn to show godliness to their own household and to make some return to their parents
- Write: Keep honoring parents
Honoring our parents is commanded by God, but it is also the first commandment that carries a promise along with it: When we honor our parents, good comes from it. God created the family and placed parents in positions of authority above children. This authority, however, is always intended to be used for the good of the children. We listen and obey our parents because they are God’s agents to shape and mold us into the men and women He wants us to be. Even after our parents have died, we continue to honor them by remembering what they taught us and putting it into practice. We celebrate their life and continue to thank God for the gift of parents.
Read Romans 13:1-2
- Underline: whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed
- Write: 4C: God gives us government
Read Titus 3:1
- Underline: Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient
- Write: 4C: God uses government
Read Romans 13:7
- Underline: Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed
- Write: 4C: Obey the government
Read Acts 5:27-29
- Underline: We must obey God rather than men!
- Write: Obey God first.
In addition to parents, God has placed others in authority over us. This includes the government, teachers, pastors, other adults, coaches and more. God uses these other entities and people to provide for us and we are to honor and respect them just as we would our parents. However, we remember this caution: when those in authority command us to do something contrary to what God teaches, we must follow Him first and foremost.