God desires to be first priority in all areas of your life. Nothing should come before Him.
Read Exodus 20:1-3
- Underline: You shall have no other gods before me.
- Write: “1st Commandment” or “1C”
Who is God?
Read Matthew 28:19
- Underline: name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit
- Write: God in Three Persons (see Deut 6:4)
Read Deuteronomy 6:4
- Underline: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
- Write: Not 3 gods, but 1. (see Matt 28:19)
The difficult to understand truth about God is that He is only one God, yet there are three “persons.” The Father, the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit are all God in their own right, but they are only one God, not three. It’s similar (though not exactly!) like an apple that is made up of skin, flesh, and the core. Together it is one apple, though there are three distinct sections. The three “persons” of God each have unique roles and ministries, though they are still just one God.
Who do we worship?
Read Isaiah 42:8
- Underline: my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols
- Write: Worship God Alone
Read Matthew 4:10
- Underline: You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.
- Write: Worship God Alone
God demands our full attention. He is not content with us worshiping Him when we feel like it, or only worshiping Him on certain days. God desires to be the first priority in our life all the time. When we elevate other things to be more important than God, we are worshiping false gods.
What false gods do people worship?
Read 2 Corinthians 6:14-15
- Underline: What accord has Christ with Belial?
- Write: Watch out for false gods!
Read Psalm 115:4
- Underline: Their idols are silver and gold
- Write: Watch out for money!
Read Philippians 3:19
- Underline: with minds set on earthly things.
- Write: Watch out for stuff!
Read Matthew 10:28
- Underline: And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
- Write: Watch out for people!
Some false gods are obvious like Islam or Buddhism. Others are less obvious like money, things, and people. How do know if we’re worshiping a false god? It’s all about priority. If we say we believe in God, but we are consumed with trying to gain more “stuff”, then “stuff” is our god. If we say we believe in God, but all we ever do is talk to our friends and never to God, then friends become our false god. God demands first place in our life. While friends and stuff are certainly not evil, they can get in the way when we chase those things instead of God.
How do we keep this Commandment?
Read Matthew 22:37
- Underline: love the Lord your God with all your heart … soul … mind.
- Margin: God wants all of me!
Read Psalm 118:8
- Underline: Entire verse
- Margin: Turn to God in trouble!
The way to keep this first and greatest Commandment is to put God first in all areas of our lives. This means both in the good times and the bad as we turn to Him when facing hard times.